Baird Biology Building (1937-1966)

Baird Biology Building, c.1955

The Baird Biology Building, previously known as “Mooreland,” the home and deer park of sportsman Johnston Moore, class of 1829, was purchased by Dickinson College in 1932 from the family estate following the death of Euphemia P. Moore, Johnston’s daughter. When the building was converted to college use in 1937, it became the home of the Biology Department. It was dedicated in memory of Spencer Fullerton Baird, a member of the graduating class of 1840, who would achieve notoriety as one of the leading naturalists of his day, ultimately serving as Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution. The three-story building, which sat on the grounds of the Benjamin Rush campus, was demolished in 1966 to make room for Witwer Hall.

Author of Post: 
Dickinson College Archives
Date of Post: