Benjamin D. James Center (1987-2006)

Benjamin D. James Center entrance, c.1990

The Benjamin D. James Center was built on the northwest corner of Louther and College Streets on land acquired by the College from the Church of the Brethren in 1985. The building was dedicated on October 17, 1987, and provided classrooms, offices, and the department laboratories for geology, psychology and environmental science.

The building was named in honor of Benjamin D. James, a member of the class of 1934, college professor, coach, dean of admissions, dean of students, and professor emeritus of psychology and education. The James Center was designed by Spillman Farmer Architects and constructed at a cost of $2.8 million.

In the summer of 2006, the James Center was demolished to clear land for the construction of the Rector Science Complex. One wing of the new Rector Complex was named James Hall, as a continuing tribute to Dr. Benjamin James.

Author of Post: 
Dickinson College Archives
Date of Post: