Emory Chapel (1877-1918)

Emory Chapel, c.1890

Emory Chapel, located on the northeast corner of West and Pomfret Streets, was built in 1858 as a Methodist church intended specifically for the College’s religious community. The building was designed by Thomas Balbirnie in Victorian Gothic style, and was constructed at a cost of just over $10,000. Emory Female College used the chapel from 1863 until 1866.

In 1877, Dickinson College assumed the debts of the church and converted the chapel into the Grammar School, which remained there until 1886. Four years later, Emory Chapel was leased to the Dickinson Law School, which utilized the building until the completion of Trickett Hall in 1917. The College finally sold Emory Chapel to the United Brethren Church in 1919, and it was torn down shortly thereafter.

Author of Post: 
Dickinson College Archives
Date of Post: