Gibbs House (1939-1964)

Gibbs House, c.1955

The College acquired the Gibbs House, the former home and carriage house of John Hays, in June 1939. The house is located on North Hanover Street, approximately five blocks from the college campus. An endowment from Rebecca McClure Gibbs enabled Dickinson College to purchase the building, and final costs, after a number of alterations to the house, totaled $23,000. Gibbs House was the first dormitory intended specifically for senior women, and its location across the street from Metzger Hall was ideal for keeping all of the female students quartered near one another. Gibbs House remained in use as a college residence hall until 1964, when it was sold to Roy E. Hoffman.

Author of Post: 
Dickinson College Archives
Date of Post: