Carlisle

Carlisle Bi-Centennial Bowl, 1951

A white bowl with scalloped edges and a gold trim. In the center of the bowl is an illustration in red of the gate that leads across the academic quad to Old West. On the reverse side there is text in red on the bottom of the bowl that reads "Cumberland-Carlisle Bi-Centenial 1751 1951 made expressly for Carlisle.  Penna Musical Arts Club first edition". This object belonged to Velva Diven Daihl, class of 1927. 

Artifact/Collection Number: AC 2012.6_8

Location: Shelf 34

Subject: Bowl, Carlisle

Format: Glassware/Ceramics

Carlisle Bi-Centennial Commemorative Plate, 1951

A white plate with scalloped edges and a gold trim. In the center of the plate is a collage of illustrations in red of important sites in Carlisle, including (clockwise from the top) the Cumberland County Courthouse, Dickinson School of Law's Trickett Hall, County Jail, the Doorway of Old West, the Molly Pitcher Monument, and Hoff Hall, the USAF Information School on the Carlisle Barracks. This object belonged to Velva Diven Daihl, class of 1927. 

Artifact/Collection Number: AC 2012.6_1

Location: Shelf 34

Subject: Commemorative Plates, Carlisle

Format: Glassware/Ceramics

Sesqui-Centennial Anniversary Pin, 1901

Button made by Dickinson College celebrating Carlisle and Cumberland County’s sesqui-centennial anniversary in 1901.

Artifact/Collection Number: AC 00488

Location: Shelf 25 (housed with AC 00418-00422, AC 00448-00449, AC 00484, AC 00541)

Subject: Anniversaries, Buttons, Carlisle, Cumberland County

Format: Pins/Buttons

Carlisle souvenir plate, c.1910

Blue and white plate featuring “New Denny Hall” and images of other Carlisle landmarks.

Artifact/Collection Number: AC 00580

Location: Shelf 28

Subject: Commemorative Plates, Carlisle

Format: Glassware/Ceramics

Carlisle, Pennsylvania Button

A round white metal button with "I love (red heart symbol) Carlisle" in black lettering.

Artifact/Collection Number: AC 00206

Location: Shelf 17 (housed with 00194, 00207-00208, 00216)

Subject: Button, Carlisle

Format: Pins/Buttons

Metzger Institute pin

Gold pennant-shaped pin painted in white enamel with name “Metzger” for the Metzger Institute.

Artifact/Collection Number: AC 00172

Location: Shelf 26 (housed with AC 00161 - AC 00180)

Subject: Education, Carlisle, Cumberland County

Format: Pins/Buttons

Noah Pinkney Plaque, c.1950

Bronze plaque honoring Noah Pinkney for years of dedication and service to the college community. Pinkney, a former slave, sold pretzels and sandwiches on campus and at that spot outside the gate for over 40 years. The plaque was formerly mounted on the Class of 1905 Gate on North West St. near East College during the tenure of President Edel, a member of the class of 1915 who had fond memories of Pinkney. The plaque bears the words, "Rest here a while, Dickinsonians, near the East College Gate where for more than forty years Noah Pinkney, former slave and Christian gentleman, sold pretzels and gave lavishly of friendship. 'Fine as silk, sah, fine as silk.' To many generations of Dickinsonians 'Pink' was as much a part of the college as the mermaid on Old West. Born in 1846, he passed over Jordan on August 6, 1923, 'And all the trumpets sounded for him on the other side.'"

Artifact/Collection Number: AC 00104

Location: Shelf 3 (housed with 00104-00107)

Subject: Commemorative Plaque, Carlisle

Format: Plaques/Trophies

Subscribe to Carlisle