Alpha Chi Rho House (1946-1964)
The two-story reinforced concrete house located at 272 W. High Street was built in 1912 by Abram Bosler, a non-graduate of the class of 1905 and member of the Board of Trustees. Bosler did not wish to lose his home to fire, and the building was the first Carlisle residence built of the fire-proof concrete. After Bosler’s death in 1930 his wife and children continued to occupy the house; in 1945 the house was purchased by the Chi Omega national sorority to be used as its national headquarters. However, the society's plans changed within a year and the house was returned to the market.
The Dickinson College chapter of Alpha Chi Rho acquired the house on November 4, 1946 for a sum of $34,500. The fraternity occupied the house until it was purchased by the College on June 6, 1964, as all of the College fraternities were preparing to move into the newly constructed Fraternity Quadrangle. The house, which was purchased for $55,000, became the home of the Admissions Office and was refurnished in the late 1980s. In 1990, after this renovation was completed, the house was named in honor of Robert A. Waidner, class of 1932 and a member of the Board of Trustees.
Date of Post: