Dickinson Alumnus, September 1937

Selected Highlights from this Issue
  • The Baird Biology Building, which was named for Spencer Fullerton Baird (class of 1840), opened after a dedication ceremony.
  • Professor William D. Gould, Dean of Wesleyan College, joined the faculty as an associate professor of history and political science.
  • Rev. James Lester Lester Shipley (class of 1860) died at age 99, which made Dr. Charles William Super (class of 1866) the oldest living alumnus.
  • Charles W. Brown (class of 1937) wrote a short history of Mooreland Park, which Dickinson had recently purchased and the location of the new Baird Biology Building.
  • Dickinson purchased five lots in order to enlarge and improve the facilities at Biddle field.
Year
Volume
Other Topics

Dickinson Alumnus, February 1929

Selected Highlights from this Issue
  • The Board of Trustees invited alumni to attend Dr. Mervin Grant Filler's (class of 1893) inauguration as the eighteenth president in April 1929.
  • The Alumni Gymnasium opened in early January with a basketball game against the University of Pennsylvania.
  • An infirmary, consisting of four rooms, opened in the rear of Conway Hall. 
  • Administrative offices, including the president's office, moved to the second floor of Old West.
  • P. W. "Red" Griffith was appointed head football coach.
  • James Gordon Steese (class of 1902) was featured in a Spanish language publication, The International Journal of Road Building.
  • William D. Angle (class of 1930) won the 1902 Award, honoring him for being the "best all around Dickinsonian" by judgement of his classmates.
  • Dr. Charles Greeley Abbot, secretary of the Smithsonian Institute, delivered a speech on former Smithsonian Secretary and former Dickinson Professor Spencer Fullerton Baird (class of 1840).
Year
Volume